Monday, March 14, 2011

Say Yes to Nourishment

"To discover what you really believe, pay attention to the way you act -- and to what you do when things don't go the way you think they should. Pay attention to what you value. Pay attention to how and on what you spend your time. Your money. And pay attention to the way you eat." - Geneen Roth, Women Food and God

I have been mentoring under Sarah Jenks, emotional eating expert and nutrition consultant, for the past few months and it has been eye opening to say the least. Sarah has been the container for me to discover what I truly believe I deserve in life through looking at my relationship to food. I have seen that I see pleasure as something that is only meant for celebratory occasions, not something that should be experienced in every moment. I see how I deprive myself of the best food for me...I look at my cabinet and I see lifeless, boring "healthy" food. I say "healthy" because it was what I thought was good for me. I had all of the best intentions but wasa crackers are just not going to cut it anymore. Of course, the irony of this deprivation is that the sense of lack creates a need to overeat which duh, causes weight gain along with other side effects- low energy since the body is spent digesting and processing all of the extra food into stored fat, over-consumption which isn't helping the environment, as well as extra money spent on food.

If we are depriving ourselves of pleasure and nourishment with what we are eating, I am pretty sure it is evident in all areas of our lives. Not allowing myself pleasure in the day to day moments, in my career that I absolutely adore, in my relationships with men, and even with friends sometimes as I often place myself in the role of caretake. It's time to focus on ways we can add more pleasure to our lives in ways besides food- massages, candles, baths, Jersey Shore (that does it for me!), and kicking back with our friends. This practice has become a huge part of my life and I feel more and more fulfilled everyday. Now I am able to bring this nourished feeling to my relationship to food...making sure I go grocery shopping every week. Feeling deserving of nourishment and pleasure, it becomes easier for us to make time to go food shopping or to cook our meals.

I am going to try to make something new every week so I will post it up here for all of you to see...nothing like a little bit of social accountability to get my butt back in the kitchen. I can't wait to get close to food again and get creative in the kitchen, I know this will allow me to help my clients that much more when it comes time for that (which is soon!!).

I say yes to nourishment, hydration, energy, life, and vibrancy!

Cheers to a vibrant, full life!

1 comment:

  1. love this love you keep going and YES TO pleasure yummm

    ReplyDelete